Organisations working in support of people with disabilities in Malaysia include:
- Beautiful Gate Foundation for the Disabled, founded in 1993 to assist all people with disabilities through welfare, care and education.
- Hope for Autism Society, which aims to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by Autism through effective early intervention programmes focusing on behaviour modification, initiate academic learning and encourage socialization with family and community.
- Malaysian Advocates For Cerebral Palsy, which advocates for and support people with cerebral palsy and their families.
- Malaysian Foundation for the Blind, which supports blind and partially sighted people by providing and equipping them with relevant technological aids.
- Malaysian Information Network on Disabilities (BAKTI-MIND), which provides information and resources for people with disabilities and their carers
- Malaysian Parents with Disabilities Association, which provides services for parents with disabilities.
- Multiple Sclerosis Society Malaysia, established in collaboration with Hospital University, Hospital University Kebangsaan Malaysia and General Hospital Kuala Lumpur to provide patients with a support network, to increase public awareness, to encourage earlier diagnosis and treatment, and to seek government assistance through funding.
- National Autism Society of Malaysia, which was founded in 1987 and has 20 centres across the country providing a variety of Programmes.
- Persatuan Kebajikan Insan Istimewa Melaka (Joy Workshop) is a sheltered workshop started in 1999 to train persons with learning difficulties in vocational and independent living skills, emphasizing social integration with domestic and community functioning activities.
- Persatuan Orang Orang Pekak Selangor Dan Wilayah Persekutuan, advocating and providing services for the deaf community.
- Nicholas Home, Penang, a long-established organisation responding to the needs of the blind and visually impaired.
- The Society of Independent Living for the Disabled, founded by people with disabilities to help their peers live independently.
- Wings Melaka, which is a centre providing care and support to special needs children. Parents learn alongside their children in the Early Intervention Programme and are further empowered through parent support groups and access to a well-stocked toy and resource library.
[These resources were collated during joint research with David Banes and Akber Gardezi on behalf of the inter-Islamic Network on IT in 2017 and 2018]
Please contact us should any of the above organisations no longer be operating, or if new ones should be added to this list.
Last updated May 2018